Sunday, February 10, 2013

Technology in the Classroom Isn't For Looks

  We recently had Clarence Fisher join us via Skype from his position in Snow Lake.  The conversation we had was brief, but awesome.  He talked about how we need to teach proper digital skills to our students.  Digital skills are very important, much like how reading and writing is.  I'm not saying reading and writing isn't important, I'm saying that digital skills are becoming increasingly important.  Teaching a student how to use technology to gather information is essential.  Teaching a student how to separate the real information from the garbage is also important.  I have written many essays in my short time on this planet, and I have sure come across a lot of junk in terms of information.  It is really hard to know what is good and what is bad.  I wish I would have been taught how to filter it, because I have probably loaded an essay with some awful stuff at some point.  If my knowledge was better at the time, I probably would have known what was good and what was bad, but my awareness was self taught so it took awhile.

  We also discussed the actual, physical use of technology in the classroom.  Many teachers have technology in their classrooms, but don't use it, or don't use it right.  A smartboard isn't something you just slap on the wall and say "Oooooooo....... pretty."  It is also not a glorified projector screen.  It is an educational tool that students can interact with, which can greatly benefit their learning.  An iPad just isn't a really slick, amazing, gorgeous, sexy and crazy awesome device; it has purposes that are educational and surpass everything I previously stated in this sentence.  Yeah it checks email.  Yeah it tells you when the Toronto Maple Leafs just scored a goal (which last night was plentiful I must say).  Yeah it tells you the weather.  However, if these are the only reasons it is sitting in your classroom,  take the thing home, because you are just teasing the kids with the notion that they may get to use it.  I use my iPad for a lot of assessment.  Evernote is an amazing tool for the computer, iPad, and iPhone.  It allows me to take antidotal notes, take pictures of students' work, and tag names and assignments so they are all organized.  It is just too awesome.  Anyways, use it if you have it, and use it right.  Let the kids use it.  IPads and smartboards in classrooms should be smeared with fingerprints. 

  Great presentation, and great information!  Until next time... CHEERS!!


PS - This is the album I have been listening to while doing homework today.  "Koi No Yokan" by Deftones.  Awesome stuff, so give some of the songs a listen on YouTube if you like a mellower heavy metal sound.

This is the audio video for their song "Tempest."  Enjoy.

7 comments:

  1. Scott, I couldn't agree more with you about teaching students how to go through what they find on the internet. What is false? What is good information? I have to say, for myself, I still even struggle with this sometimes because I was never taught how to do this exactly! There is so much information out there and our students need to know how to sort through it all and get rid of the junk!! We need to be teaching them this for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I also think that no one will ever be able to fully separate the good from the bad. With the amount of information out there nowadays it is too hard to tell.

      Delete
  2. I posted about using technology appropriately as well! I love your quote about smearing ipads with fingerprints! I will admit, I am guilty for using a SMART Board as a "glorified projector screen" but the first step is admitting you have a problem... right?? There is so much that can be done with these different types of resources, we really need to make sure we are using them purposefully and with curricular outcomes in mind.

    Miss L
    Miss L’s Whole Brain Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Also, thanks for the Twitter mention!! Much appreciated. Oh for sure, I am guilty of doing it in the past too, because to be honest I wasn't even 50% sure what to do with it!

      Delete
  3. I agree, digital skills are becoming more and more important in today's school. The old dinosaur teacher is fading away...and schools are looking for the teachers who are up to date with technology. And you are very right that it is always important to teach students how to filter the information they find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "IPads and smartboards in classrooms should be smeared with fingerprints," this quote made me cringe a bit because I am slightly OCD about fingerprints on anything! But seriously, you are so right about using technology in purposeful ways that further student learning. What's the point of having any device in the classroom if it is just collecting dust or not being used as an interactive tool? I definitely need to learn more about iPads. Did you have your own in the classroom? Or did you use the school's iPad? I'd like to hear more about how you used it; we will need to touch base soon. Thanks so much for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Scott, I also love the line: "Let the kids use it. IPads and smartboards in classrooms should be smeared with fingerprints. " Nicely said. By the way, if you want a great book about evaluating info, etc. find Howard Rheingold's book 'Net Smart' - good stuff.

    ReplyDelete