Monday, February 4, 2013

Be Personable, It is the Best Meet and Greet

  This past Thursday we had George Couros join us in our Internet for Educators class from Edmonton via Skype.  We previously had his brother speak to us, Alec, so it was pretty interesting to have them both give us some insight. I really enjoyed his bit about what he did when he spoke to an audience, of how he showed an inappropriate tweet that someone had sent out a couple days prior.  People need to realize that that the profession of education demands a higher level of professionalism than other jobs.  We don't have the ability to tweet or post things that many others do.  We work with kids, and we need to show that we have the appropriateness to work with them.

  I agree 100% with what George said about getting to know the students first, then teach curriculum second.  When I did my very first student teaching placement, I picked a school that consisted of students that I knew, and who knew me already.  I did so because I was very nervous about my first stint as a student teacher.  Also, I knew that if I already had a good foundation with the students, that I would be able to have a smoother transition into the teaching aspect of it.  It worked.  The kids responded to me very quickly, because they knew who I was as a person already.  Of course, this is not the case every time you step into a class, but it sure helps.  My cooperating teacher in my second placement also knew the importance of getting to know the students, especially the ones outside of the classroom.  He knew that one day there was going to be a little boy coming into his classroom, that would most likely cause a lot of commotion in the classroom.  So ever since that boy was in grade 1 (this teacher taught grade 4), he made an effort to chat with the boy once in a while on the playground during recess duty, or if he saw them in the hallway.  At recess he would discipline him if necessary, so that this boy would become accustomed to how he was as a teacher.  He built a relationship for three years before that boy entered his classroom, and when he finally had him in the class..... no problems.  The boy became to respect this teacher, because he had put in so much time with him prior to being in the class.  This boy knew that his teacher actually cared, and therefore, he gave him his respect.  It is very important to do this, because a single classroom may be a community, but it is a community within a larger community.  A teacher needs to be a player within each.  

  In my third student teaching placement, I taught a grade 3/4 split class.  First off, I loved it!  Secondly, I decided to help coach the grade 7/8 volleyball team.  Why?  To connect.  I spent school hours inside the grade 3/4 all of the time, so those students got to know me really well.  I wanted to know everyone because then there wouldn't be that awkward blank gaze in the hallway that everyone gets once in awhile (as a side note: Ever meet someone in the mall or in a store that you haven't seen in awhile, and talk to them for a little while there?  Then, after you say your good-byes to each other run into them again about 10 minutes later and its all of sudden really awkward?  Weird how that works).  It really helped me get to know the older kids, who in ways you can joke around a little bit more with.  

  Overall, awesome presentation!  I took away so much from it.  Put yourself out there (in a good way)!  Meet the kids!  Don't be the gremlin teacher who hides in the classroom and only leaves when the clock strikes 3:30!  Connect!  An apple a day keeps the doctor away!  Now back to some Super Mario World!  Until next time.... CHEERS!


3 comments:

  1. Great post Scott! I liked the story about the teacher who built a relationship with the student 3 years before he had him in his class. I think that ties in nicely with what George said about being a "school" teacher as opposed to being a "classroom" teacher. It would be great to always know all your students names before they enter your class because you've already been building relationships with them, previous to them entering your grade. I agree that coaching is a great way to develop meaningful relationships with students outside of your class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These stories that you have just shared, are not only examples of what you have learned, but will be of help to others. I loved them!!!

    Glad we could connect and learn together! Thank you for the post :)

    George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am also glad that we were able to connect, and your presentation was fantastic! You left me with a lot to think about.

      Delete