Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Learn by Sharing - Two Way Street

Today in my Internet for Educators class, we were lucky enough to have Dean Shareski Skype in with our class to give a presentation. First off, this was the first time I have been involved in a Skype presentation and it was awesome. It worked so well, and it was amazing because he was many miles away (many being an understatement). I would also like to say thank you to Jen for bringing that ice cream dessert, because it was delicious. I also spilt coffee everywhere up at the front when I was pouring, so thanks everyone, for overlooking my awful eye hand coordination. Oh, and we watched a hilarious video by the guys who do the Kid Snippets on YouTube. I just heard about these guys from an educational gal pal a couple days prior and have watched them all. Everyone should check all of them out!

The main theme of the day seemed to be based around the notion of sharing over the Internet, or more specifically, Educational Online Sharing. I personally used to (early last year) not like the idea of sharing my work online, because I figured that what mine was mine. I'm not insinuating that I'm not a sharing person, I'd gladly split my chocolate bar or let you use my Lego, I mean more so on a global level such as the Internet. Then a bit after being in my first year of education, I realized that if others never shared their great ideas then my lesson planning would have taken me way longer than it did. If someone was willing to tell me heir great ideas, don't i owe it to them and to others to share mine? So why not share? Is it really going to bother you that much if someone likes your idea enough to use it in a professional setting such as teaching? As teachers we should want other teachers to improve as well, so that we can benefit all children everywhere. I guess in a way I was hesitant before because I was worried that my ideas wouldn't be as good as all the other million ideas out there. However, as Dean said today, to paraphrase, "something obvious to us, may seem amazing to someone else." I was sort of thinking that way before, but to hear him mention it today completely pushed my in that direction. If everyone hates my idea, and wants nothing to do with it or will never use it in a classroom, that's fine. But if it could possibly help even one person... then mission accomplished.

I really enjoyed what Dean said about what is considered educational online sharing. Educational online sharing just doesn't have to be the sharing of resources, lessons, or ideas, but it can include much, much more. Educational online sharing can include 'how to' videos, step by step instruction on a forum, some good advice, or even just a positive video or poem that's uplifting and motivational. Below are some examples:

Previously Unconsidered Educational Online Sharing (first 4 are from the unpublished experiences of me):
1 - If you're professor asks the class if you read the required readings for the day, and you haven't, but tell her you did, make sure your textbook on the table has the wrapping off of it.
2 - Leaving sushi in the fridge for two full days after you have opened or brought it home from a restaurant and then eating it is not a good idea (pretty sure the word food poisoning applies here).
3 - Some old childhood memories of TV shows, should remain childhood memories (except for the 90's Ninja Turtles one, that stuff was just awesome, and still is awesome. There are also some other minor exceptions, so if you want, please post another childhood TV show that didn't get less interesting after growing up).
4 - Don't forget your clothes in the washing machine for a couple of days. It just creates extra work.
5 - A short smart notebook tutorial made by a couple classmates and myself in my ICT class. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbZFEldPR3U
6 - Another video made by the same crew, which will hopefully put a smile on your face. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O6-cb9GDAy0

Now for an example that was always considered Educational Online Sharing:
- a link to my classroom website, that contains a couple lesson pans on it created by me and two other people who allowed me to make them public (more will be added soon, I just haven't organized them on my computer yet). http://mrtaylorsclassroom.weebly.com/lessons.html

Overall, I loved the presentation. There were more topics discussed, but I wanted to focus on the sharing aspect because it is so important. If anyone has a digital footprint at all, then he/she has been on the receiving end of sharing at least once. Everyone should at least contribute to the giving side of the online share at least a few times to help contribute to the online learning community. As momma said, it's always better to give than receive. Now time for some TMNT. So once again, until next time... CHEERS!!


5 comments:

  1. I love your blogging style, Scott :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike!! I figured that since I'm a blogger now I should personalize it a little bit. Sometimes I get so into it that I get off track haha.

      Delete
  2. Mike, I also like your blogging style. I feel like I am getting to know you on personal level. I think that's what my blog lacks!
    I think I would be more apt to sharing if I could just do it anonymously. That way if it sucks, no-one will know it came from me (lol). On the other hand, if I come up with a super awesome lesson plan, then I won't get credit for it! What to do? I guess I just need to take the plunge, start posting my stuff and hope it helps someone out there in internet-ville.
    BTW, thanks for sharing your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEs, Lisa - take the plunge ... and you have awesome thoughts & ideas to share!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the words of advice and the video links too! I subscribed to your channel and look forward to watching more smile inducing videos.
    As Lisa said, the biggest barrier to sharing is a need for credit. It's a hard thing to do, but I'm making an effort to change from thinking that I am giving my things away for free to thinking that right from the start I am making these things for others.

    ReplyDelete