Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tech Overload!! (But In A Good Way)

Before every post, I go back and read the previous entry, to see if I can link them. So first off, I would like to apologize for my spelling and grammar in the previous post. While reading it, I became aware that I was making error after error. Whoops. I would like to say that I have good grammar, and I can honestly say that I was pretty good at spelling as a youngster, so I blame everything on autocorrect (at least 90% of it anyways). Apple has been so helpful to me over the past 6 years, but autocorrect is one thing that has bothered me and caused me nothing but a headache. How typing 'some' turns into 'Naomi' is beyond me, especially when I have no contact in any devices with that name. I realize that it can be turned off, but who has the time to do that right?

I will now get on topic before I lose you. Our Internet for Educators class was lucky enough to have Dr. Alec Couros join us via........... wait for it.......... THE INTERNET!! There were a few audio difficulties, but the overall experience and knowledge totally trumped that problem. The main focus of the presentation was how technology and the Internet are becoming an increasing force in the classroom. More and more students are being introduced to technology, and sometimes it is the students who are the most advanced with technology in comparison to the teacher. Alec pointed out that there are actually more smartphones around now than the older style phones, because of how they can access information anywhere. For example, my Dad's 15 year old bagged car phone sure can't tell me how many calories I consumed while demolishing a Spicy Chicken Combo from Wendy's (I don't actually calorie count; that would take more time than turning off autocorrect). More and more devices are being seen everywhere (I did a quick study on the matter, see picture below; it'll be a major research paper one day).

Weather, movie times, stocks, sports stats, and so much more recreational information is available through such devices. They can also access video games, social media, video streaming, and play movies! For these reasons, some teachers do not allow devices such as smartphones in the classroom. Are these teachers forgetting something though? Are they missing the educational opportunities that are available through these devices? Yup. There is a vast amount of educational information that can be accessed as well through smartphone, and smartphone like devices. Wikipedia (though sometimes not always the most accurate), google searches, textbooks, journal articles, books, PDFs, websites such as national geographic and other crazy educational sites. All of these can be accessed quickly, easily, and at anytime, without having to sign up for the netbook cart that still may not be there when it is your turn for it (don't you hate that?). I understand why some teachers don't like it, because of the texting and checking of Facebook factor. However, I do think that the positive outweigh the negative. Even allowing for such devices to be taken out for special times is a step in the right direction. For my university classes, I use my iPad to take notes, because then they will be available on my phone too. Sometimes I get the eye from a professor because, or so I assume, they believe that I'm on Facebook, checking tweets or email, or playing games such as Fairway Solitaire
(https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/fairway-solitaire-hd-by-big/id428393840?mt=), or Bad Piggies (https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/bad-piggies-hd/id545229893?mt=8). Both of which are awesome games for iPhone or iPad, but I know when and when not to play them. I understand why I'm getting the eye, it makes sense. However, I'm using it for an educational and productive purpose. Most professors trust their students that they are doing so, and I think we as teachers need to trust our grade school students the same.

Dr. Couros touched on a subject that Dean Shareski did as well, and that was the topic of sharing. He stated that sharing is a process of learning and that we should not just consume. Instead, we should also add to the massive market of knowledge. I see it like the stock market in a sense. You see something that you think will do well and only keep getting better, so you put more and more in so that you can receive a better pay off. The more information you add and share with others, the more you will probably receive back because of the effort and information you have provided (don't use this advice with just any stock though, if you want to invest, talk to an investor).

One of my favourite comments of the presentation was, to paraphrase, how "hash tags are becoming a new form of literacy." That is so true. Twitter's hash tag is one of the easiest ways to access information and common ideas. Like reading, it takes awhile to get it down nice and smooth, but once you do your eyes are opened to a vast world of knowledge and ideas.

Finally, digital citizenship. What does it mean to be a good digital citizen? I personally believe it means that it is someone who adds to the digital community in an appropriate and respectful manner. Yes, people are going to argue, and people are going have disagreements about certain things, but they can all be carried out in respectful ways. Too much these days we read racist, prejudice, and literally awful comments on the Internet. People are being harsh on twitter and Facebook, but the worst of them all are the comments on YouTube. I literally cannot get through about 2 pages of comments without some sort of racist or derogatory comment these days. This is a link to a video made by Macklemore, (Oh yeah the "Thrift Shop" guy!! However, this song is about civil rights, and at 2 minutes and 17 seconds into the song he talks exactly about this subject - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVBg7_08n0 ). Leaving such comments, in my opinion, is not being a good digital citizen, and it is our duty as teachers to teach children how to be a good digital citizen, because we know they are going to be 'linked in' anyways.

Overall, it was an awesome presentation, and the first 3 presentations all complimented each other very well. I would also like to say thank you to Sarah and Stephanie for the donuts!!! Also, a special thanks to Allison Isaak for proofreading this post before it was published, as to prevent last week's problem. Oh, and we watched another Kid Snippet video, which was awesome! I would love to try a project like that someday, especially as a class. So, until next time.... CHEERS!!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog entry You make many great points I definitely think that that the uses of the internet is very important in our world. Becoming a valuable member of the on line community is as important as being part of our physical community. I think teaching students about how to be good digital citizens is very important, I actually wrote about that in my blog this week. You should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the online community is just as important as the physical one. Hard to be apart of both sometimes. And I will head to your blog right now!

      Delete