Saturday, January 26, 2013

Think, Think...... What Else Should I Use?

This, is my interpretation of my very own educational sharing world:


As you can see, I do not have all that much on it yet in comparison to some.  However, I am somewhat new to the massive educational sharing network, but I do know that one day this will be a lot bigger.  The first one that I ever used, and probably almost everyone first started using, was the web browser (except for family and friends; but lets just talk technology for now).  In sense, it almost had to have been the web browser, because to get the majority of the others you had to use the web browser (except for the iPhone and iPad, but you probably did research on it before buying one through a browser; and again the family and friends of course).  The web browser allowed me to reach all of the other portions of my network, even though I did not show using arrows because that would just look too busy.

Out of all the portions of my PLN, I would have to say that Twitter is the one I use the most.  I joined twitter last year (to follow the NHL trade deadline), and have used it constantly since.  I used it for more personal stuff for awhile, but then I learned through ICT that it had a countless supply of educational benefits.  Sharing, following, and chatting about all kinds of educational opportunity, ideas, lessons, sessions, and the list goes on.  The best part is, that all it takes is a quick follow or a hashtag search and it is at your fingertips.

I cannot count how many times Google Docs has come in handy for me.  Collaborative projects, study notes, slideshows, etc.  The ability to take multiple people's experiences and ideas and collectively add it to an online database is just astonishing.  Google Docs would have been one of the most handy tools I could have used in my undergrad degree, but sadly I never heard of its existence until I was in my first year in the Faculty of Education.

I just started using Diigo... so I'll get back to you on that one.

MAPLE is going to be DA BOMB (yeah, I just said that).  I have just been added to this amazing online resource thanks to John Evans, and once it becomes more widespread, it will be the go to online resource for Manitoba teachers.  Just think, an online social website created by teachers, and exclusively for teachers!  It is essentially Facebook without the veil.  I say this because if you are on MAPLE, then it is you, not a fake version of you.  You have to be a Manitoban teacher to use it.  No invite groups, or special 1 month trials, only real teachers.  You have to love that, because then you know you are getting the best possible resources available.

I would start talking about the iPad, but if you just look at how many connection arrows I've made with it, I think it sums up my thoughts on it well enough (it is literally the best piece of equipment I have ever owned).

I am still learning and always will be.  So, in ten years from now if I am asked to create another mind map of my network, and then compared the two, I would probably be astonished to see how much it has expanded.  I am going to keep thinking, searching, and trying, to see how many I can possibly use effectively.  I am also very open to suggestions of really good one!  So... wish me luck!!  Until next time... CHEERS!!

*Thinking of what to try next, or about what to eat?  You decide!*

3 comments:

  1. mmm - what to eat? Nice reflection, Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I definitely agree with you about the iPad. Best device ever; I am so glad I decided to get it. I liked how you used the linking lines in your diagram; it really helps to show just how useful the iPad is! This is bound to help Apple sell. I am also interested to see what my own visual looks like in 10 years from now. My hope is that it will be much larger! How could it not be with all these new things I am learning?!
    P.S. great picture at the end; nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike... I was thinking about what to eat so good guess!! Yeah maybe Apple could send me a check once in a blue moon for pushing their products so much... that'd be nice. Haha we are learning a lot of new tools, so our mind maps should be quite large by the end of February.

    ReplyDelete