Monday, February 18, 2013

This Week In #I4ED

This week was a pretty good week in our Internet for Educators class. We didn't have any presenters this week, but we went over quite a lot of things.

We discussed online bookmarking. Now, I just recently started to use the bookmarking function on my iPad's Safari app, and soon after vegan to use Diigo. To discuss the first of the mentioned, my bookmark bar consists of Future Shop (most used one), Dorkly (a video game comedy website, Apple.ca (obviously), and I think some lesson planning website (preservice teacher necessity). I also have a few folders, once of which contains all of my classmates' blogs (I did it this way because I couldn't figure out how to use the RSS feed thing yet), and a folder containing all of my resources for the current unit I am planning. I really like this form of bookmarking, but Diigo is something else. Diigo allows me to save websites, but then also share them with others. I find this pretty awesome, but I do I fully understand how to use it? Nope. Diigo is something I am going to have to continually work at over the next little while. It is almost as if I always forget it is available to use, so I never really add anything to it. I eventually will find myself using it more there is doubt about that, but it'll just be at slower pace.

This week we also dove really heavy into our group projects. The topic our group chose was cyber bullying, which is a very big, and important topic these days. The style of our presentation is a video (I am only saying this because some of our classmates saw us out side with a camera, so no real spoiler alert there). Now... I hate anything that is remotely involved with bullying. It is an awful and disgusting thing that has no place in this world. This being said, I am a little worried as to how people will perceive our video. I say this, because the way we approached it was in a satirical manner. I would just like to say right here and now, that we did not make the video to offend anyone, and that we made it in such a way as to show how some things (that are very serious and important) may get put into a different context by some forms of media. That being said, please, when you watch it next week, do not think that any of us agree, or are making fun of the serious problem of bullying. Everyone one of us is 100% behind its complete and utter extinction from society. I also do not want to give away too much of it, so please come back next week to see it, and to read me discuss it.

(Side Note: I am eating a piece of unbaked peach cheesecake right now, and it is delicious)

I am very excited to see everyone's presentations this upcoming week, because by the sounds of it everyone has been working very hard on them. It is also my turn to bring a snack on presentation day, so I hope everyone in the class likes chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, cool whip and skor bars, because if not then I have a lot of eating to do. Overall, it was a great week, and I'm looking forward to continuing the tech journey this week! Until next time... CHEERS!!!

1 comment:

  1. Scott, I am glad you posted about our video on your blog. I hope that people will read this and understand that in no way are we making fun of bullying and that we do not condone it. I am very excited to present our video and I had a lot of fun working on it! Projects like this are a lot more fun than writing a paper, and so I understand why students would rather do this as well! I will definatly give my students the opportunity to make videos instead of papers!! Way more fun!!

    ReplyDelete