Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Move Over Facebook.... The Sequel to "The Social Network" is Going to Be About Twitter.

Alright, so way back in the day I joined Facebook, mainly because all of my friends were on it and I didn't want to be the odd man out.  I used it to see what people were up to these days, and to also remember birthdays (which people get mad at me for forgetting, but seriously its hard to remember that stuff).  I would post photos, videos, and status updates, and just thought that this was the best thing in the world.  Time went on: seasons changed; classes came and went; more movies kept getting released but none got better than "Scarface"; and my receding hairline receded even more.  After this time passed, I started to get bored with this Facebook thing.  I found myself checking it religiously, especially when I had other important stuff to do.  So I sort of went away from it.  Then a movie came out called "The Social Network," which was about the creation of Facebook.  So, being the movie addict I am I bought and watched it, and thought it was quite good.  So then for some reason I liked Facebook again.  I still don't know why a movie did that to me, but I guess I sort of went back to McDonalds after I saw "Super Size Me" (before you say anything... yeah, that movie made me want McDonalds more, and I have no rationale for it).  Around this time, I started noticing that a lot of the TV shows or hockey games I was watching would have this number sign followed by words at the bottom of the screen.  I soon found out that it was something to do with Twitter, and just though "Oh pfft."  So I paid no attention to it.  Then, while watching Sportscenter, I started noticing that when the broadcasters name would come up, it would be followed by an @, followed by their name.  Alright, so it was then and there when I decided that this was getting ridiculous.  Why do I care what this person's @ thing is?  So I tried to pay no attention to it.  Then, after more seasons changed, my buddy told me that this one broadcaster would tweet all of the underground information on the "NHL Trade Deadline" (yeah, it is that important that it gets treated like a proper noun).  So... I signed up to this twitter thing for that reason.  And so it began....

  Since starting to use Twitter, I have barely used Facebook.  I realized how easy it was to use, and I found many other benefits as well.  First benefit (I found) was that now I didn't have to read all of these drama filled posts anymore (you know EXACTLY what I mean by this, so no need to explain), because there is a character limitation!! Best...... idea..... ever!  Plus, someone could follow you, and you didn't have to follow them!  I also really enjoyed the hashtag (it is the legal name change from number sign).  The hashtag makes it so easy to find information.  Just use a certain hashtag in a post, then see what others have been saying, or search a certain hashtag to find information!  It cannot get anymore perfect than that!  I started to follow educators and classmates, and we could share a lot!  I have tweeted a fair amount since joining (not as much as other people, but I try).  I have tweeted educational tweets, and funny tweets.  The one thing that I am always torn between is how to tweet.  I say this because I started using Twitter as a personal account, and then it slowly evolved into a personal/educational profile.  When I am in the process of writing a tweet, I usually stop and question whether or not the educational followers would appreciate it or not.  I never tweet inappropriately, but i just don't know how the educational followers feel about non-educational tweets.  The educators have followed me for the sole reason that I am also an educator.  If they kept getting their home page filled with tweets about losing awfully in NHL '13, or my play-by-play of the 2013 Superbowl (which I really did do, so I apologize to all, but that blackout was ridiculous), would they get frustrated that I am not tweeting what they are expecting me to?  I always wonder about that: to tweet serious, or tweet funny when appropriate?  I don't want to offend the followers who followed me by not always tweeting educational information, but I also don't want abandon my original purpose of joining the network.  I have considered getting separate accounts, but then I always come to the conclusion that I am me, and that I have nothing to hide, so why separate them?  As long as I am not tweeting inappropriately then what is the problem right?  Some might say to tweet only educational, and may chose to not follow me if I don't do that.  The same could be said from the other side.  Some of my friends may not want to see educational resources and links posted all the time.  Tough call, but my final decision on it is... "If you don't agree, then don't follow."  I'm going to tweet both.  It would be nice for both sides of the network to see both sides of me: those being my personal side and my professional side.

  Twitter, in my opinion, is THE social network nowadays.  More and more things on television are displaying usernames and hashtags for Twitter, and less and less are showing Facebook page links.  If another movie was ever made about the creation of social media, it would most likely be about Twitter, because of how it connects people.  Don't get me wrong, Facebook connects people too, but just in a different way.  Twitter is simple in a big way.  It has an easy to use interface, but so much can be done through it.  It doesn't change its layout every 2 months, and I have not read one tweet that was filled with drama.  Those two points are enough reason to join Twitter.  Overall, if you do not have Twitter, then try it out.  You may actually find yourself tweeting more than 'liking' things, which is great because it is your voice.  Until next time.... CHEERS!!


4 comments:

  1. This is a great post - best thing - be yourself (but be wise).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Have to be yourself, otherwise it would be lying to everyone. I don't want to "sell" a fake me to colleagues and possible employers.

      Delete
  2. I agree, and support, your #serious&funny tweeting habit. Whether people follow you is their choice. Being educational, yourself and awesome at the same time is a bonus, because it allows others to see you more completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support! As long as it is appropriate then it should all be good!

      Delete