Sunday, March 3, 2013

Keeping Up With the Podcasts

  I have subscribed to podcasts for quite awhile now.  Never educational ones though, which I probably should have.  I have subscribed to such podcasts as the College Humor podcast, the Pardon The Interruption podcast, the Jay and Dan podcast, and a few others.  I have always like them, whether they were audio or video.  They provide a great way to catch up on missed events (such as sports highlights).  I have now recently understood the benefits of them educationally.  I have watched TED Talks ones before too, but I'm sure most people have heard of them before, so I am going to introduce you to a couple that I have come across and come to enjoy.


    I have used the mobile classroom podcast to help me get through some technology difficulties I have had.  The podcast is set up as sort of a video in picture styled format.  The video serves as the audio, while a words and pictures are splashed onto the main portion of the screen.  The first one I watched was about Evernote.  I use Evernote quite a bit, but there is always something to learn, so I decided to watch it to introduce to some things I may not have even known about.  It did help me quite a bit.  This podcast is more for the teacher than for the students.  It can help teach you some tips about different technological tools, so that you can better use them in the classroom, or so that you can better teach your students.  Give it a try.  Look at the list, and you will probably see a title that is linked to an internet tool that you want to know more about.

RSS... something I still need to know more about.


   The "Cool Teacher Podcast" with Barbara and Chris, is an audio podcast that gives hints and tips of how to make your classroom a "cool" and "fresh" place to be.  Essentially, they give some suggestions about how to keep your classroom different.  They also discuss a lot on the topic of assessment, which is something that all teachers should learn about.  One podcast, they talked about those awful computer generated comments that exist on some report cards.  Those take away from the personable connection between students and teachers.  I remember reading those comments in high school, the "a pleasure to have in the classroom," or "good and consistent work habits."  Seriously?  Thanks for caring.  Anyways, this podcast talks about real issues, but puts an interesting spin on them.  Please give this one a try.

Overall, you have to love podcasts.  You can get them automatically downloaded right to your computer or phone as soon as they become available, and you can listen to them as easily as listening to music on your iPod.  I use them, and will for quite sometime.  I will especially be using them for educational purposes now.  So, until next time.... CHEERS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment